Where are the buyers? That’s the question CDR-observer and climate advisor Robert Höglund asked in a much-discussed recent post.
Höglund points out that while significant growth occurred for CDR through voluntary markets in 2022, the number of large buyers is low and growing slowly.
He called the market “upside down”: lots of marketplaces, fewer companies doing removal, even fewer buyers.
Today we’ll look at his post and use it as a jumping-off point to discuss some recent headlines in the business of carbon removal. Including-
· CDR startups announcing new funding from oil and gas companies
· The Guardian’s recent reporting claiming the climate benefit of Verra’s carbon offsets is overstated
· Patch’s new offtake agreement format
· Climeworks’ third-party verification of their DAC process
· Should CO2 credits also include co-benefits?
On This Episode
Captura & 44.01 new fundraising
Verra’s response to the article
Connect with Nori
Join Nori’s Discord to hang out with other fans of the podcast and Nori
Nori’s other podcast Reversing Climate Change
Nori’s CDR meme twitter account--- Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/carbonremovalnewsroom/message Support this podcast: https://anchor.fm/carbonremovalnewsroom/support